Queens Jubilee – Preparing for your Event

As the Queen’s Jubilee approaches there are many organisations planning to hold an event to mark her 70-year reign.  If your company is planning an event here are some considerations to ensure it is safe and enjoyable for everyone.

Conduct a risk assessment for public events. This will help you to identify issues that could arise during the event. Take action to prevent issues arising where possible, and have plans in place to be prepared for risks that cannot be eliminated.  Consider:

  • Minimising the risk of accidents – for example, by avoiding trip hazards
  • Keeping the area clean and regularly clearing away rubbish – litter can be a fire hazard
  • Maintaining access for emergency vehicles, or having a plan for rapid removal of items in the street that would obstruct vehicles
  • Preparing back-up plans in case of unsuitable weather

Fire safety.  Fire safety guidelines for outdoor events are from those for indoor events. The government’s ‘Fire Safety Risk Assessment Open Air Events and Venues’ gives you full details of how to organise an event at an outdoor venue, in accordance with fire regulations. Whether the event will be outdoor or indoor, employers must carry out a fire safety risk assessment for an event either for employees or others, in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

First Aid. For any public event, you will need at least one nominated first aider. Display signs in prominent positions so that people can quickly see where to go for first aid assistance. A first aid kit should be readily accessible in case of an emergency.

Traffic Management.  Cones and barriers will help you organise the flow of pedestrians and vehicles at entrances, exits and around high traffic areas. Speed bumps can be used to control traffic speed and heavy-duty cable protectors to protect any leads and prevent trip hazards.

Licences and Permits.  If you plan to hold a party that requires a road closure, make sure that you check the deadline for applying for a permit. The deadline may be several weeks before the event is due to take place. Licences are required for public events where alcohol will be sold and where there will be entertainment, such as music. You should also check with your council whether there are any restrictions on the hours when the party can take place.

Insurance. If you are holding a public event, make sure that you have the necessary insurance in place. Public liability insurance is available for as little as one day, so if you don’t usually need cover and don’t already have a policy in place, you can take out insurance just to cover the duration of your event. (Note, public liability insurance may not mandatory for a street party.)

Signage. Signs will be needed to show where car parking is situated, where first aid assistance can be found, and where escape routes are located. You may also want signs to warn of trip hazards, restrict access to certain areas or direct people to refreshments or toilets.

Emergencies.   You should have a plan for dealing with emergencies, and roles and responsibilities need to be clearly defined. Draw up an evacuation plan, and make it easier and safer for people unfamiliar with the venue to evacuate by marking the escape route with clear signage. Check that evacuation routes are clear of any obstructions and that exits are accessible. Where necessary at a big event, security staff should control exits to protect the venue rather than having gates or other exits locked.

Taking the time to prepare your event, will go a long way to ensure that the celebration’s an enjoyable and safe success.